Tuesday, November 8, 2011

OMG!!! How Did You Lose All That Weight?!?!


 July 2010
October 2011

People often ask me, "How did you lose all that weight?!?!?"  Well, honestly there are no shortcuts or magic tricks to weight loss.  I went to the gym religiously three times a week, spending an hour and a half each time: 10 minutes of stretching, 40 minutes of strength training, 20 minutes of elliptical, and often I'd throw in Pilates and a hardcore ab workout.  After four months of doing this and eating healthy, small meals four or five times a day of 1200 calories total, I lost 35 pounds.  

But as most of us know its not about losing the weight but keeping it off.  Three months ago, my friend introduced me to the four minute Tabata workout also known as High Intesity Interval Training (HIIT).  I was skeptical but intrigued because I was sick of spending all that time in the gym to maintain my weight loss.  Also, given that it was only four minutes long, required no equipment and could be done in a small space, I knew I'd be more likely to do it on a regular basis.  And as anyone who has kept the weight off for years can tell you: consistency is key.

This intense four minute workout is extremely efficient at helping you burn fat, building your core and major muscle groups, plus studies have shown that it’s as effective as a 45 minute cardio session for your heart.  It’s an all in one package of fitness scientifically proven by its inventor, Dr. Izumi Tabata from the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo.

If you give this workout everything you got you can burn fat and calories throughout the day because your heart stays beating at a fast rate which gives you a long after burn.  Think of it as revving up your stomach like an engine just ready to devour any fuel you pump into it.

So are you ready for the longest four minutes of your life?

Here's a video that shows you the entire workout.  Make sure not to eat before this workout, stretch all your muscles before you begin, and warm up:

Here’s a link to a timer to help you keep track of the workout since you won’t be able to focus on anything else when you’re going all out:

Do it maybe once every couple of days.  I did it this morning as fast as I possibly could which is the way you need to do it to experience the full benefits of the workout.  I felt like my heart was going to pop out of my chest and I just lied on the ground for a few minutes afterwards like a dead dog.

But its so worth it since I no longer have to deal with grungy guys at the gym plus I get an extra five hours a week to shop for new clothes since the majority of my wardrobe makes me look like a wannabe hip-hop artist cuz they're so baggy.  :P

Bottom line: The Tabata workout three times a week along with eating smaller portions (no more than 1200 calories a day) and walking a mile daily works if you stick with it.  In the last three months, I've been able to maintain the same weight and figure and even slim down some more in less than half the time I used to.  More time to enjoy life thanks to Dr. Tabata!

By Sarah Allis Yang

No comments: